Saturday, December 22, 2012

Beware Of The Back-Door Ego


Anyone who has been doing spiritual work for a while is going to be aware of the power an out of control ego can have on your life, your karma and your evolutionary process.

Some ego productions are very easy to spot. The person that always needs to be the center of attention, the highly competitive, the vanity and greed driven personality will stick out immediately like a sore thumb. It is however the hidden ego that one has to be more concerned about at a certain point in evolution. How about the self-sabotaging soul on a guilt trip? Seemingly there is no ego left that is how bad that person will feel about what they did. If you look closely you will notice however that it was the gigantic ego that thought it couldn't get anything wrong, that refuses to forgive self as a student of life and move on.

Or what about the self-sacrificial person, please everyone eat before me, don't help me I can do it, let me take care of this for you, you seem tired. There might be a very generous person in there, or again an out of control ego viewing everybody else as less strong, capable, courageous, and abundant in resources than self.
I stumbled across another one within myself this morning. Feeling a resistance to share any of my writing in public, I determined the root to be shyness and insecurity. When I dug a bit deeper and asked my boyfriend about his view of the subject matter he pointed out that there was probably was still a strong ego attachment in there somewhere, otherwise I wouldn't be so concerned. The message rang loud and clear. Haven't fully resolved it yet, but hey making peace with being a work in progress is always a good start right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment