Sunday, August 10, 2014

Are you Suffering from Delusional Dolphin Syndrome (DDS)?

What is Delusional Dolphin Syndrome, you may ask?

Well, picture a dolphin in his/her natural habitat, the ocean. Even if you are not a marine biologist, I am certain that you have a pretty good idea what dolphins do.
They swim, they play, they eat fish, they hang out with other dolphins, they jump out of the water and do flips etc.

Now, imagine one of the dolphins, the delusional dolphin, is dissatisfied with his “boring” life in the ocean and embarks on a journey to become “greater”. He looks down on his fellow dolphins for they seem content with their lot in life.
“I am better. I am greater and I will conquer the world.”

Next scene, we see our dolphin at the horse races. Before the races he eats some grass, ‘cause that’s the cool thing to do. He lines up in the starting box, the bell rings, the horses are off, and the dolphin is left behind.
“What’s wrong with me? I should be able to eat grass without a bellyache and run fast. I remember speed. I suck. My life is a failure.”

Next scene, the dolphin is hanging out with some squirrels in the park. They are sitting around chatting having a good time. The squirrels are friendly and welcoming but when it’s time to play and to chase each other around the tree tops, our dolphin feels lonely, isolated and less than.
“I am a nobody. I can’t even run up a tree. Who will ever love me? I am such a loser.
I am so disappointed in myself.”

You get the picture. If this were a book, we would hope our dolphin would find his way back home, a humbler, wiser, kinder and more grateful version of himself.
Life doesn’t always work out that way, especially not when you are human.
We tend to compare ourselves to other humans, and if we re not clear about our own gifts, talents and our true nature, it is easy to get lost.
We might set unrealistic goals for ourselves and continuously add insult to injury, every time that we seemingly fail.
Our society often, reflects an image of what success looks like and what one should do. If you happen to be someone that fits that pre-set mold, good for you!

If you are not and you are continuously feeling left out and left behind, it might be time to ask yourself:
“Am I suffering from Delusional Dolphin Syndrome?”
If the answer is yes, do yourself a favor and get a grip.
Dolphins are cool and there is a place for them and you somewhere in the world.
Once, you have admitted to yourself what that looks like (and it might not be considered “cool” in the public opinion) let go of unreasonable challenges for this lifetime and make your way back to the ocean to be with your friends.
As always, best wishes and many blessings for the journey.
Until next week….


No comments:

Post a Comment