Saturday, August 2, 2014

What is Your Relationship to Your Avatar?

If you’re already living a soul conscious life, you are aware of the fact that you are not your human body. I refer to the human body as the human avatar, the vessel that the soul rides around in while going through its three-dimensional earth experience.

As a soul looking in the mirror, you most likely will have an opinion about how you feel about your avatar. Since we change avatars each lifetime, we will all have avatars that we love and that we feel are a good reflection of our soul energy, as well as avatars that we don’t like and so-so ones.

Now remember, that this is a school and things aren’t always what they appear.
Any avatar, even a seemingly unfitting one, can serve an educational purpose and become a spiritual teacher.

I had the interesting experience this life to be racist against my avatar. My soul had made peace with every race on earth other than the Europeans.  As a kid, I didn’t have a concept of that yet. All I knew was that I didn’t like my skin color. I couldn’t wait to get a tan or dress up and wear make-up to play a gypsy or a Native-American.  I went through years of self-loathing and I didn’t treat my body with much consideration. It didn’t feel like me and I was going to do everything not to be in it.
As the years went by, I’ve been graced with insight, healing and wisdom that have led to a different attitude and has allowed me to embrace my avatar with compassion and love.  I remember the day I realized how much I loathed being German.

I was in college and I was very much looking forward to spending my summer on a Native American reservation. Culturally these felt like my people.
A group of friends and I arrived exhausted after a two day cross-country road trip.
We were tired but very excited. The girl in charge of our accommodations had assured us that our host families would be waiting for us.
When we got there, we were welcomed with cool suspicion. Nobody wanted to take us in. Sitting in the back of the jeep at a gas station figuring out what to do, my eyes met a group of Natives going to the store. In their eyes blatant hate. I don’t blame them. They saw the enemy. I wanted to shout. “Please see my truth, I am not one of them. I am one of you.”
I understood her disdain for me, because I felt the same way. One of my friends and I decided not to stay. We were too ashamed and embarrassed and we didn’t want to impose. We ended up spending the summer with her family in Cleveland, Ohio.

It was a painful lesson for I realized that I couldn’t escape my external reality. It took me many years to make peace with my avatar and my heritage, especially since post World War II Germany represented the bottom of the pile.  For me, it was bad enough to be European, but being German felt like an utter disgrace.
I have come to realize that this lesson was perfect. There was no better way for me to heal my remaining racist tendencies than to have been given the avatar that I have.
These days, I make it my own by letting my soul energy shine through and by taking extra good care of it. After all, it is my home on this planet this lifetime. It has also given me the gift to not judge another book by its cover but to be curious about the soul that resides inside the avatar. It’s freeing and I am grateful for the opportunity.

So back to my original question:
How is your relationship with your avatar?
If it is not that great yet, I hope that you’ll feel inspired to work on it.
After all, any avatar is like a mini-universe with all of its little cells and bio-chemical processes. It depends on you to take care of it and it is working hard for us every day.
If you don’t learn your lesson this lifetime, you might have to repeat it….
In case you are one of the lucky recipients of the perfect soul/avatar match. Congratulations!

Please have compassion for the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment